Monday, January 13, 2014

God's Art

This week's Trifecta challenge is to add 33, one-syllable words to the opening snippet that goes:  "The first time I saw......".     Here are my 33, one-syllable words.  Enjoy.


God's Art

The first time I saw snow,
I felt as though God was not on my side.

Why else would His art fall from the sky,
white, on my brown skin, 
then, fade to dew
and mix with my tears?


 When I was just a boy, a doctor from India came to our town in Nova Scotia, Canada.  Needing a place to stay, my mother offered to take her in until such time as the rest of her family arrived and they found a home of their own.  One of my most vivid memories of this doctor's stay with us was her reaction the first time we had snow in the winter.  She was so excited, rushing out of our house and into the yard, no jacket, bare arms, as the snowflakes fell from the sky.  She was delighted with the coolness of the flakes upon her skin and the beauty of their design. But, what stands out most was her surprise/disappointment as the cool flakes melted against the warmth of her skin and dripped away.  She was so shocked that I swear there were tears in her eyes.

There is much to be said for the personal growth that can happen when you willingly expose yourself to new cultures, climates, customs and so on.  This lady is now an established medical professional with multiple clinics operating all through eastren Canada but yet, the melting of snowflakes was one of her first experiences in Canada; one that she, and my family, will never forget.