Thursday, October 17, 2013

Teenage Dream


Is this entry 99 in the Trifecta challenge?  Here's hoping so.


Teenage Dream



Don't look back.
But, how could I not?

He doesn't know me as well as he thinks he does or else,
He wouldn't just stand here,
with his arm around my shoulder,
telling me that better days lay ahead.

A tear falls from my eye.
He makes no move to clear it away.
He just tells me that he will remember me always,
That he will miss me when I'm gone.

I'm already gone
in his eyes.

He tells me to not look back,

But, I will not be forgotten!
An iPhone picture snapped, uploaded.

One teacher's career over.



     Glad I was able to get this one in on time.
     This is a true story, up until the end of the piece.  As a male teacher, I have to be very careful how I interact with students, especially female students and, especially in this age of camera phones and instant uploading of images.  To do something as compassionate as giving a hug or a reassuring pat on the back, is an act fraught with potential danger nowadays. Too bad because, some kids just need that hug, you know?!